Beads Beads Beads! Almost unavoidable with little girls. I've lost count of how many spills & sweep ups we've been subjected to when buckets fall over, egg cartons (full of organized beads) are knocked off the counter, little girls drop handfuls down their dress and run like mad from room to room, beads are used as props for mock rainshowers...the sensations are just too much to handle.
Little Janelle is such a sweetheart in helping with the cleanups, having the sharpest eyes in the bunch, closest floor proximity, and a perfect cheek pouch to store them in.
So thrillingly we found a good use for this messy, fine motor developing craft, that not only rids us of most of them, but puts them to much better use.
My dear friend, smartmama, gave us some ideas for donations for her Operation Smile mission.
As no person is too small to serve, and no service too small, (even small round almost invisible objects...)...we decided to put together some bead necklace and bracelet packets for the children waiting for operations.
Everyone loved lining up beads into patterns, putting them in bags with stretchy string, and labeling. (Ashley even labeled some with her own phonetic spelling..NEKLIS..I couldn't stand to change it, hopefuly the volunteers have a smile when passing her bags out.)
We worked for hours, using up every last bead!!!!
My vacuume breathes a sigh of relief...but most importantly my family had a great service experience, and talked for hours about why this boy, or that girl would like certain color schemes, designs, bead shapes, sort of like a hug to wear around their necks and hopefully
know they were loved by a small family in Massachusetts.
"At the heart of the message of the Savior of the world is a single, glorious, wonderful, still largely untried concept. In its simplest terms the message is that we should seek to overcome the selfishness we all seem to be born with, that we should overcome human nature and think of others before self."
--James E. Faust
--James E. Faust
what a great idea...and how nice of your girls to be willing to share and serve!!!
ReplyDeleteHope you were able to rest a little today, sorry you've had sick ones.
Thanks, not exactly sick, just teething I think. It was a nice day!
ReplyDeleteAhhh breathe in a bead free house for a little while... You know they will surely and speedily find their way back into your life. That sounds like a wonderful service project. I love how everyone could be involved.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I'm sure Janelle will miss the beads! :) Missed seeing you today~
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome idea! Love little acts of sevice, especially by little ones.
ReplyDeleteMissed you today!
Such a wonderful service project. I love how you involve your girls in so many worthy projects - they are truly learning to serve. Keep up the good work and enjoy a bead free house (for the time being!)
ReplyDeleteThat's GREAT! How nice of the girls.
ReplyDeleteI wish I was in Jordan helping people smile, too...
What a cute idea! I love it. Your girls are adorable!
ReplyDeleteYou're such a GREAT Mom! Fantastic idea. Those kids are lucky to get something made with a house full of the spirit and love. The gift will radiate this.
ReplyDeleteChristy, you amaze me...you always have countless service projects floating in your head. Sometimes I'm just lucky if I remember to have Grant brush his teeth. No wonder you have so many wonderful little ones who you can guide...do they know how lucky they are?
ReplyDeletesounds like your out of beads.. i'll be sure to send you some for birthdays ;)
ReplyDelete