Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kate-The Bell Ringer


I remember YW theme years ago ago about being a "bell ringer", sort of like letting your light shine, inspiring others to do good works, set standards etc. It was a nice project. Tonight I was reminded about how well this theory worked, not just because of the data, but mostly because the fact of ringing a bell is just plain LOUD, so people have no choice but to listen.

After abandoning hopes of settling Kate down for the evening routine, I moved onto Ashley, telling Kate that I would return after she had quieted and after Ashley was lovingly tucked in. 3min into Eloise (ironically a story about a very annoying little girl...), we, the people of the house, are summoned by our very own bell ringer. Standing in her doorway shouting with loud glee, is Kate,
"I'm ready, just tell me when you are done mom. I can have my stories now, ..I'll ring this bell when I have to tell you something...OK!" (It was a large and noisy beast of a bell)

Apparently she had many things to tell us cause the bell never stopped ringing. We tried to ignore it, and the constant barrage of random 4 year old commentary on the second by second details of life. We let it go on for 5 painful min, hoping she'd give up and get bored, arm tired or something (foolish fantasy).
Ashley's story was cut short and the ear beater was was removed from Kate.

Is that what it takes in our house to get some attention. I try, I really really do my best. I'm just stretched so thin. I think persistence is a good quality right? Hats off the the other sisters who are fairly hardened now to Kate's antics, that they gracefully just roll eyeballs and sigh. And me, who stayed up late to record this cause Jared begged me to after hearing the story, where normally I would just drop into bed exhausted, and am seriously afraid of being downstairs alone when he is not home (sad but true, laptop would help...) Now I'll probably be tired and have a bad morning,....but then again, I most likely wouldn't sleep much anyhow...
MY EARS WILL BE RINGING ALL NIGHT!

Still, alway always love my Kate...the unforgettable kid,
just making a place for herself in the world.

8 comments:

  1. i am LAUGHING! this is good. Kate's a crack up, she is FULL of a whole lot of goodness. All wrapped up in a CUTE little package.
    You are WONDER WOMAN Christy! I hope you sleep well tonight~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. I have had ALL bells banished from my kingdom.
    May you enjoy a QUIET day today.
    (here's hoping!)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing! Funny, not really, that you don't like being in the dungeon alone. Loud noises grate on some people more than others. I have a few sensitive ears, they would not have been as understanding. My bell ringer is 6 now, and while life is a bit calmer, the closer it is to bedtime, the louder he becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! She is a funny funny girl...all the ruckus last night must have worn her out as she is home from school today..."my too tired to go to preschool mom". Still in bed quietly playing.
    Why is it that kids get loudest before bedtime I'd like to know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute, cute story - I can't help but laugh. There seems to be one in each home...mine would be Stevie. Thanks for sharing this, it honestly makes me long for those days of small children. I wish I didn't have to be done. I'll just live vicariously through you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh classic. glad you posted it. it will be a good reminder when kate comes to you with problems with her own children :) you're doing a great job sis! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey when you're in the middle you gotta make some noise to get noticed. Why do you think I'm such a LOUD person? Love you and hope your day is going great! Hey, you saw my blog we've been having our 4 yr. old issues too. You wanna swap kids?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Persistence pays off in the end! And Kate is seriously persistent and adorable! So true about kids getting wound up before bed. I promised each of them a quarter last night if they would brush without 1. being silly 2. arguing and 3. FOCUSING! The best nights before bedtime routine we've had in a LONG time! Not bribery- positively reinforcing good behavior.

    ReplyDelete