Monday, March 22, 2010

Community Service


Our neighborhood has never been a favorite of the town, since it's beginnings around 5 years ago. Partly due to the builder and what he did or didn't do, and partly due to the fact that
no one ever wants new construction, (but they want our taxes??). So after a heated town meeting last November, sort of like Hatfields vs. McCoys, we all woke to find our neighborhood sign graffitied, a large circle with a cross through it. We tried to ignore the eyesore, and discussed what to do. Jared tried to cover it in plastic...but eventually somone just got fed up with it and chopped it down. So there it lay, disgraced and buried and (sort of) forgotten under the snow all winter. But this last week, as everyone came out of hibernation and ventured outside, we were again reminded of the "SIGN". (uggg!)
Hallie and her friend Emily went out exploring on bikes, came running in looking for rags and magic erasers. Not much damage you can do with those, so I didn't question.
About an hour later as I was circling the neighborhood for the dinner call, I came across this scene... a totally clean neighborhood sign propped up proudly...as if to say, "we are here to stay!" Hallie said she felt so sad that someone would do that and just wanted to fix it.
NICE WORK! She surprised us all.
Always my one to think of improving the world around her.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Mahatma Gandhi


Thanks HALLIE & EMILY

8 comments:

  1. She learns from the best! Go Hallie!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY sweet. I'm sure their deed will not go unnoticed with your neighbors. Great work girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!!
    I agree with Emily, she's learned from GREAT parents. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has such a huge heart and is always so willing to help those in need. Love her spirit! What a nice improvement to the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good girls! Shows their hearts out in the neighborhood! HOpefully everyone was driving by. It's wonderful your kids had to set the example

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should send this story to the Mr. Clean company! what a great testimonial

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey JJ my brother, Tom Jewkes here, I love the family site! I'd love to get your email address and catch up.
    tom@thegoodtimber.com
    Tom

    ReplyDelete