At the end of the school year I am endlessly bombarded by the paperwork the teachers so carefully saved as a record of my childrens' progress. I always enjoy looking through them with that particular daughter, (almost as much as I revel in throwing it all away) and laughing at the downright hilarious things they have written over the year. I am always awakened to new insights about my girls as I am able to see where their thinking takes them.
Brooklynn especially ENJOYS memorizing and writing poetry. She keeps a special book and when a new thought comes to mind, she will quickly jot something down. She also writes a newsletter with her friend, their pen names are Tape and Banana. T&P interview people, have a recipe of the month, pictures from interesting household events, and jokes. These are available for neighborhood readers.
She HATES vocab, and essays. Here a few examples. Can I say enthusiasm??
"I always have to distribution among my sisters because I have so many.--Distribution"
(excerpt from an essay she was forced to research & write)
"I think diabetes should not exist. I think this because it is horrible. It is also not good to joke about because you might have to write an essay like me."
Hallie leans more towards story writing and has written many exciting adventure stories this year, packed with drama, death, friendship and love. She likes to print them officially, title page and all, making copies for neighbors and friends. Maybe I should introduce her to the world of blogging.
Hallie and were rolling as she looked through work from past years. The BIG handed pictures of people, the phonetic spelling "i HaV tOw rats..tHey are VeRy nIse" (not a true statment in my opinion, but whatevaaa) It was a good time just Hallie and I, to reminice.
Ashley is all about the phonetic spelling this year in K. Maybe I should be correcting her more, but it is so dang cute. She wrote one day "I wont to take the chran to Yoo Nork Siti"
(I want to take the train to new york city) To this day she still calls it Yoo nork City. She is endlessly scribbling little notes to me, some happy, some sad, some very very MAD! I am thrilled that she can now express herself on paper, whatever the mood may be.
Kate will not be the one left out of this writing frenzy, her most treasured items are markers and sticky notes. She draws pictures of people and flowers, or just writes pretend lines of script, and stick them all over. Notes to me at bedtime reminding me to leave the door open, notes to the workers in the basement to tell them she wants a stage and how to build it, notes to Janelle, stuck to her body, telling her not to climb the stairs. If you are looking for good info, Kate is the girl to go to.
Janelle, well she just takes all this writing IN, she EATS the paper and the crayons, and often has a purple mouth when she is lucky enough to find markers on the floor.
One thing I notice in all of this is that my children and honestly so PROUD of their work. They DO work hard in school and are able to recognize their efforts, all stacked up in a pile. How often as a grown-up do I put down the things I do and am afraid to be proud, like it is bragging. OR just feel that my work, in all its different forms, is not good enough. Sometimes I do sit back when I am in the yard and everyone is happily running around, playing their little games, and think quietly to myself, what a great job I've done. I have 5 sweet little girls, who are ever learning, but always loving, and I am PROUD too. Glad for the work I've done, and happy, (but slightly scared) for the work yet to come.
I just want to say the PICTURES of all of you girls are so very sweet. Love them all!!
ReplyDelete:)
My favorite is distribution - because there are so many sister's to share with. LOVE IT! And I love you. Great post today. xo
ReplyDeletei LOVE when you post!
ReplyDeleteThat first picture of B and J is adorable.
darn right you should be proud! :) kant wate to se yu! hahahaaa
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing wrong with that type of pride! From them or from you! If you want to do something other than "get rid" of all of those extra papers (not the savers of course) join us for the end of the year bon fire the kids are planning. They want to burn all of the extra papers and work books. That is one way to put closure on a year, huh?
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for our Yoo Nork Siti trip!!